The Future of Enterprise Applications
Scalability, Cost-effectiveness, Availability & Extensibility for your Applications
Whether modernizing a single legacy application or the entire enterprise, Modern Systems provides the products and services to assist organizations understand the legacy landscape and the challenges associated with selecting the right modernization strategy. The aim of the Modern Systems Legacy to Cloud Practice is to work with customers to create a cohesive, executable plan aimed at taking maximum advantage of the scalability, cost-effectiveness, availability and extensibility of cloud environments with minimal risk.
The Modern Systems Legacy to Cloud Practice will leverage:
- Vast experience with migrating highly complex, performant, reliable, secure legacy applications and data workloads to a wide variety of distributed systems environments
- Proven operational and infrastructure assessments targeted at replicating all of the unique requirements involved in deploying legacy workloads in a specific cloud-based framework
- Extensive and comprehensive understanding of the requirements and behavior of all legacy applications and data characteristics and the specific mapping to deploy efficiently and successfully to a cloud-based framework
Legacy Cloud Practice Offers You:
- Custom developed cloud migration strategy containing a full-service methodology, customizable to meet specific customer requirements and assist with the journey from legacy to the cloud
- Comprehensive assessment services, selection of best modernization approach, architecture design and implementation, code and data transformation, testing, deployment, ongoing monitoring and management of the solution during and after the modernization, all focused on the cloud as the target landing framework
- Certified partnerships with best-in-class cloud platforms such as Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, and the Oracle Cloud Platform
- Ability to articulate and select the best individual or combination of platforms to meet the specific needs of the organization and the assets being modernized or transitioned
A Clear Pathway to the Cloud
Cloud Assessment Service
Modern Systems understands that the cloud might not be a suitable landing platform for all legacy applications. Therefore, when embarking on a migration journey to the cloud, it's important not to assess everything as one group, but rather assess the individual components (or groupings of components) separately to determine each specific migration strategy and appropriate landing platform. The established strategy is tailored to the specific asset composition, customer environment, standards and requirements of the individual or group components, taking into consideration both short and long term objectives. With this as a basis, the Modern Systems Cloud Assessment service ensures that the appropriate information is gathered to provide a tailored deliverable.
Key Objectives of a Modern Systems Cloud Assessment
Categorize workloads to determine the appropriate deployment option
, e.g. which workloads make sense to remain on-premises vs. move off-premises. Which workloads should move to a public, private, or hybrid cloud.
- An existing investment in on-premises based infrastructure or specific regulatory requirements might drive the requirement for some workloads to remain in your own datacenter
- On the flip side, a lack of in-house infrastructure skills (perhaps due to historically being outsourced) or an immediate or planned future business need to scale might drive the requirement to manage workloads in a private or public cloud
- Specific functional areas may provide a perfect cost effective use of a cloud environment, e.g. application development, availability, disaster recovery, performance or stress based testing - where a burst of increased infrastructure capacity is required for a short period of time in order to support planned future growth. This kind of hybrid cloud approach often proves to be the best starting point for Enterprises looking to adopt a cloud strategy
Select the right application modernization approach
through portfolio rationalization and consultancy exercises. The selected strategy will be based on specific customer goals, including cost savings and ROI, timeframe, required agility, in addition to future business drivers, available skills and experience, technology, tools and platform preferences.
- Some applications will be able to be replatformed (or rehosted) “as-is” with little to no change. Moving to a cloud-ready environment will yield many of the benefits afforded by a cloud infrastructure
- Others applications may be automatically converted to Java or C#, and optimized to leverage specific cloud capabilities such as elasticity and increased availability
- Via tool-assisted reengineering, applications may be assessed and optimized to maximize cloud-native benefits such as microservices and DevOps
- Within the portfolio, some applications may be candidates for replacement with available SaaS solutions, or completely retired
Develop a cloud migration strategy blueprint describing the selected approach, deployment options, projected timeline, and a breakdown of the associated costs for the applicable migration and testing services, normative and peak operational runtime costs, in addition to optional managed services costs.
The blueprint will also include a target reference architecture covering the required operational and infrastructure requirements of each selected deployment option.
The type of partner you select will likely dictate the success of your modernization project. Choosing a generic cloud partner with no experience mapping legacy workloads to a distributed architecture, let alone a cloud based architecture, may prove disastrous. Ultimately, the lack of legacy migration skills will force whoever primes the project to select many sub partners to cover the skills they do not have. With no long-lasting integrated partnerships, all will strive to showcase what they sell as opposed to what you actually need.
Modern Systems is a boutique Legacy Modernization company with proven expertise across all areas of legacy code and data migration, infrastructure, operations, monitoring and maintenance - both during and after the transition. We would be happy to discuss this with you further to see how we can help you begin your journey to the cloud.
Learn More About Your Cloud Options