Mainframes and the applications they house have been around a very long time. Most organizations would balk at the thought of purchasing a mainframe as a new investment, but if they’ve been around for more than a decade or so, those same organizations are struggling with what to do about aging mainframes in their inventory that they know very little about. The trouble is, making changes or decommissioning systems without a full understanding of the impact is incredibly risky, so mainframes stay in place far longer than they should. Any system that acts as a transaction engine for core business functions over a long period will be augmented, tweaked, and extended multiple times by a multitude of developers. The longer the system has been around, the less a company knows about its inner workings.
The reality is that soon the subject matter experts and the skill sets required to support these systems may no longer be available. This whitepaper explains why a detailed assessment of legacy applications and databases is essential for risk mitigation, environmental understanding, and proper strategic technological planning and decision-making.
What You'll Discover In These Pages:
- Mainframe Assessment: The First Step - Understanding the need for, and advantages of mainframe assessments as a first step toward legacy systems understanding
- Technical Overview: Modern Systems’ Solution - Breakdown of our Mainframe Assessment service and the technology that drives it
- Application Understanding: Why It’s Important - Building on the foundation of a comprehensive assessment, explore the advantages of in-depth understanding
- Technical Overview: Enterprise Application Viewer (eav) - Breakdown of our Application Understanding platform
- Practical Application, Real World Success - Examples of how Assessment and Understanding fit into
real-world scenarios and the story of a successful project